With the rise of online video platforms (e.g.,YouTube and Video) and live video streaming on social media outlets such as Instagram and LinkedIn, it might seem like blogging isn’t as popular as it used to be. But blogging is still trendy and a great tool for driving traffic to your website, newsletter and social media outlets. According to OptinMonster, 77% of internet users read blog articles. Internet users in the U.S. also spent three times more time on blogs than they did email. So, as you can see from these stats, blogging is still alive and relevant.
If you don’t have a blog, you might be wondering how you can get started. If you do have a blog, you’re likely wondering how you can make it better. Starting a blog is easy. Developing the appropriate content, growing your audience and maintaining your followers is far more challenging. So we’re sharing tips for increasing audience engagement on your blogs:
- Choose the right topics: To have a successful blog, you have to know what your audience wants. No, you don’t have to be a mind reader. You do need to do your research, though. Utilize existing social media channels, such as Twitter, to create polls on topics your audience wants to learn about. Or consider posting a question, like, “What would you like to see on our blog?” If you don’t have a strong social media audience, you could survey your email list to ask the same questions. Pro tip: Keep surveys under 10 questions and use multiple-choice responses. Quick and easy surveys will receive a higher response rate.
- Use an engaging format: Once you’ve developed a relevant topic, it’s time to start writing about it! If you have a lot of text on your blog, it’s easy for readers to become overwhelmed and lose interest. To keep your audience’s attention, use engaging formats, such as how-to posts and lists. Utilize numbered lists, bullet points, and bold and italics (like we’re doing in this post!) to draw attention to the important information. This will allow readers to consume and share the most important details quickly.
- Write conversationally: Have you ever stopped halfway through a blog, book or article because you’ve lost interest in the style of writing? We’ve all been there. Avoid sounding like a robot by using everyday words and exclamations. Skip the over-exhausted words, adjectives and adverbs — like best in class, new normal and pivot — to avoid sounding like a press release. Keep your sentences short, sweet and direct. That way, your reader will digest the information quicker.
- Make it visually appealing: Who doesn’t love a good picture book? People often utilize images to separate important points, like they’d do with copy to make it more readable. Images are used to explain, describe and articulate important details adequately. You don’t have to be a photographer to find the perfect image to go alongside your blog copy. There are low-cost options for great stock photography online, often available for free, from websites such as Shutterstock, Unsplash and Pexels.
- Interact with your audience: The detail that is often overlooked but that is the most important in blogging is engaging with your audience. Take the time to respond to every comment on your blog post. To increase your reach, share your blog in newsletters and on social media. Don’t forget to monitor and respond to those comments, too. Your readers are more likely to continue to engage with your content if they know you are reading and responding to each comment.
Developing a successful strategy to increase audience engagement can be an overwhelming process. It’s essential to continue to monitor your audience’s interest through social media polls and surveys to ensure you’re sharing the most engaging content. If you’re looking for additional help in developing a content strategy, THE rAVe Agency has proven success in creating unique, engaging content for the AV industry.