Instagram Insights is a helpful — and free — tool you can utilize to track growth and metrics for your business on Instagram. There are over 25 million Instagram business profiles, reaching over 200 million people each day. Using analytics can help you understand who you’re reaching, what content they like and when you’re most likely to reach them.
When you create an Instagram for business account, you can view an “insights” tab on your mobile device. There, you can see how many accounts your content reaches, how many content interactions and total followers you have, and individual insights on all the content you’ve shared through Stories, IGTV and individual posts.
When diving into Instagram analytics, it’s important to determine your goals for social media. Are you looking to increase overall engagement? Or maybe reach a specific audience? When used correctly, Instagram analytics can help you reach your social media goals and grow your business in the right direction.
Here are a couple types of analytics to look into when creating your strategy:
Your profile insights give a general overview of your account over a certain time period. It includes things such as:
- Impressions: how many times your posts have been seen
- Reach: the number of unique accounts that have seen your posts
- Mentions: how many times your account has been mentioned by other accounts
- Profile visits
- Website clicks
- Call/email clicks
Individual Post Analytics
Individual post analytics give more insight into which posts receive engagement and what type of content your audience interacts with the most. These include:
- Interactions: actions taken directly from your post, such as a profile visit
- Discovery: how many people who are not currently following you found your content on the Instagram Explore page. This page allows users to find new content curated to their past likes and content they’ve engaged with
- How many new followers you receive from a post
- How many people saved a post to their personal bookmarked folder
- How many shares a specific post has
You can also see these same analytics, plus the number of exits and replies, for your past Instagram Stories.
Audience analytics can help you determine whether you are reaching your target audience. These insights show you:
- The top five cities and countries where your followers are located
- Age range: the percentage of followers that are in each age group, including ages 13-17, 18-24, 25-34, 35-44, 45-54, 55-64 and 65+
- Gender: what percentage of your followers are male or female
- Average time of day, and also which specific days, your followers are most active
The insights that are most valuable to your business will depend on your specific goals. If your goal is to generate sales, in addition to implementing targeted ads and promoting your product to followers, you can evaluate website clicks, calls or email clicks to see if your content is leading viewers to your products. If you’re looking to increase brand awareness in general, metrics like follower count, impressions and reach will be the most helpful in tracking that growth. For building a community, comments, story replies and overall engagement is critical. You should be constantly replying and engaging back with followers to create strong connections and maintain an intimate feeling.
If you’re looking for additional help getting started with and interpreting Instagram Insights, rAVe [CREATE] has proven success in social-media marketing for the AV industry.